Tuesday, August 17, 2010

back in the USA: the flatlands

sooo, it has been more than a minute since i have attended to this blog and though there is nothing to show for it, i have been thinking of it and it has been on the to-do list since i returned home about 10 days ago now.  i will do my best, but this will take a few posts to catch everyone up to speed here.

my journey back to the states began on thursday july 15th here in japan.  i left school early that day (a la my principals request, because she wanted to make sure that i would get to where i needed to be that night so as to not mess up the rest of my travel.  what a lady!) and walked home to collect my carry on bag and take a shower and the cab was there in no time waiting for me to begin the long haul back.  the cab dropped me at the naru ferry port and i bought my ticket and enjoyed the short 35 min ride to fukue island.  there my friend brittney (love her!) and her brother, who was visiting from Arkansas, picked me up and took me to the airport so i could make my flight, which i had just rearranged to make earlier due to the impending storm.  i caught the short flight from there no problem and landed in fukuoka around 5pm.  i was to stay the night there and catch a plane in the morning so i hopped on the subway from the airport and got out a few stops later to start searching for my hotel.  i walked in the wrong direction for about 15 minutes before i stopped to ask for directions and then found the hotel easily.  after dropping off my back pack i went out in search of dinner after wading through the dinner crowd i decided that taking a bento back to my room would be the easiest.  dinner in bed along with a few beers and catching up on old "Daily Show" espisodes and i was ready to have what i knew would be my last normal sleep for weeks. 

up and at 'em on friday and at the airport via subway again by 7:30am so I could pick up my bags, which i had had delievered days earlier through a baggage service, by 8am.  picked up the bags and wheeled them 200 ft to the check in counter where they whisked them away and checked them all the way to Omaha.  checking me all the way to Omaha though was another thing.  my passport and ticket had different names on them (Beth/Elizabeth) and so i was told i was going to have to check in again in Nartia/Tokyo.  this was bad news as i was only going to have about an hour anyhow to make a connection from a domestic to an international, but i didnt let it bother me too much and kept the prize in mind; t-minus 20 hours and i would be with my family!  once i hit the ground in tokyo i literaly ran to the check in counter with about 30 minutes to spare before my plane was to leave.  i got to the check in line and the woman was very helpful and then appologetic because she was out of isle seats as i had requested, so she wondered if it would be okay if she put me in first class...DUH!  only a japanese person would appologize for this, er, inconvienence.  so i rode first class from tokyo all the way to chicago (12 hours) and man was it NICE! 

after landing back on homeland soil i was overtaken by america in general.  all things, people, food, signs, language, gestures ect ect were SOOOO BIG!  it really is true that all things in japan are just smaller, everything.  that is one of the huge (no pun intended) differences from there to here.  i relished in the small stuff like talking to strangers again and being able to understand everything that was going on around, even as strange as it all was for me.  one more flight and i was back in NE and welcomed by the arms of my baby sister and then my mother and nephew and niece who were waiting in the car.  tired and unaware of the day or time i just knew it was nice to be with them.

i was then able to spend the next 10 days with my family and some good friends in NE catching up and enjoying the beautiful midwest summer.  it was never too hot and i got my midwest thunder and lightning that i love so i was happy as a clam.  mom fed me the best chocolate cake and various home cooked meals that i had been dreaming of since i saw her last, my sisters just showered me with love and fun, the kids wore me out playing, dad gave me the gift of listening to and wondering about the world and the people in it with him and gram made me laugh and smile with her funny ways.  i am blessed to have such wonderful people to call my family in NE and it is always so hard to leave them and know that they will all change and grow so much before i see them again. 


as an added bonus i got to spend many evening with old friends who i hadnt seen in such a long time and just lazily catch up with life in back porch settings, live music dancin and reunioning formal style.  life really has blessed me with beautiful people in so many ways and places and i will never stop being grateful and joyous over these relationships.  i am so proud to call my NE friends my friends. 

 because these amazing people believed in me first, i believe in myself and had the courage to realize my dreams.  they are treasures to me and i miss and love them daily.  not such a bad start to the journey back in the states.  not so bad at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment