Sunday, April 26, 2009

Preparations, Part 1

i'm writing this blog wherever i go now. i caught myself writing in the shower today and realized that i will soon be wanting to write about how strange even my shower is. everything is going to be different soon, from bathroom habits to bedroom furniture to directions to the train. i will be starting over from square one essentially and am fully ready for the challenge of it all.

i met with a former JET (the program i've been accepted to, the people hooking me up with the gov't job) last night and it was a very good thing. i got to fire questions at him all night and just ask all of the little things that i've been fretting over in thinking of moving my world to the other side of the world soon. i ended up meeting another JET alumni last night as well and he shared some of his japanese experiences with me as well. i'm more excited now than i previously was, though that is hard for me to even fathom.

i'm jumping into learning the language so that i won't sound like a total idiot when i get there. my goals are to learn the basic katakana and hirgana alphabets and then getting down some key phrases such as "hajimamashite" (how do you do?) and "sumimasen" (i'm sorry, sometimes thank you or excuse me). this is in fact my word of the day, because apparently this is one of the most used words that folks use in japan. because of their polite and considerate nature japanese people are always appologizing i'm told. so sumimasen will be a word that i use multiple times a day.

i'm trying to learn this all and spanish and portuguese words keep flying through my head as i am. it is always easier for me to learn a language when i have someone to speak with. so when i speak with all of you for the next few months i'm sure that i'll be throwing in some japanese; get ready to learn!

konnichiwa for now, or rather matane!

(ps dear readers, sorry i've got nothing too intersting to give you yet. bear with me, i'll be exciting one day!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment