Tuesday, June 21, 2011

happy solstice!

...annnnnnnnd rainy season is officially upon us here in the goto islands.  i was ready for it this year though.  things are going off without a hitch and my rain boots and umbrellas were ready and waiting for the rain.  here i am walking to an enkai (eating/drinking party) last saturday.  the party was to celebrate the hard workin day we (parents of my students and my coworkers at the jr high and elementary school) had on saturday.  we all took the day to present english lessons to anyone who wanted to come see them and then took the afternoon to play volleyball.  it was indeed the strangest volleyball i have EVER played and no my team didnt win.  i wish i could say i didnt care, but i kinda did.  dang Nohara sensei holdin my team back! ;)

real pics of the day to come. 

hope all is well out there in the world with any of you still reading.  today is the first day of summer and the rain has indeed stopped for the day and the sun in shining down on us here in Goto.  was a lovely thing the solstice is.  makes me happy every year knowing the entire summer is before me and adventures await.  currently i am working on living in the moment here and making all of the 40-some days that i have left living here in japan really count.  i am going to miss this place more than i ever thought was possible, but i am also really looking forward to being back with things that at least used to be familiar.  i leave my lovely island august 3rd and head for south korea to meet my friend becky (its been such a long time!) who is working there for a few days and then travel onto china to meet my fantastical cousin megan (really looking forward to being with family!!) who is living and working there from there i head back to my family's homeland of sweden for a week of exploring and music festivaling (can you say EXCITED!!>>!>!>!??).   then from there i will be reunited with my best friend erin (no words can describe this excitement) in italy who i havent seen now since before i left to come to japan and from italy we will travel back to croatia where she will be working in august.  from croatia i will head back to italy to do a little bit more solo exploring and then finally get on a plane back to japan and from japan i will finally at long last, at the end of the month return to portland.  if you are reading and will be in portland august 30th, get your hugs ready cause im coming for you!!!!

okay, thats my run down for now.  lots going on here, and today i have to keep my head in the teaching game as i still have lots more classes and fun with my students before i say goodbye.  yesterday i had my LAST demonstration class with my 3rd grade elementary students and their homeroom teacher and apparently it went really well and people really enjoyed it.  great!  feels sooooooo nice to have all of that done now.  there are a few more weeks of lessons and then tests here and the summer break will start for kids in japan.  i have packing, good-byes (loads of them...yuuuuck), more packing, giving away, swimming, biking, eating and general enjoying to get done before i go so wish me luck. 

hope to be seeing many of you in the coming months and weeks ahead.  in the meantime take some moment and welcome the summer right today, or tomorrow, whatever day it is where ever you are.

sending lots of love from my little island to yours.  namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment