Tuesday, June 22, 2010

reaquainted with summer

i'm going to say this before i post this so those who need to know, know.  if you are either one of my sisters and you are reading this, it is in your best interest to just skip this post.  you won't be missing out on anything i promise and you'll sleep better tonight anyhow.  okay, and now that i have said that, i will go ahead and add that if you don't like spiders, no really really really don't like spiders you too can go ahead and quit reading now and i promise that it won't hurt my feelings.

so today is spider day here it seems, or at least my getting reacquainted with them day.  you'd have to be an idiot to think that you can live in a place like this with this much lushness and greenery all around you and not be prone to having a run in or ten with "wild life" everyday.  it just happens and i happen to love it, though i know there are people on the island that aren't that thrilled with it.  one of the most predominant species of "wild life" in naru is the spider.  my old friend and i happen to be very facinated with them and how many shapes, sizes and colors they come in and how cool their webs are ect.  so i welcome their presence, but today i was reminded that they are back in a few interesting ways.

first encounter:  i was almost through my bento today.  the regular saba bento that i usually have and i went to take a chopstick full of rice and realized there was something moving in the tray.  well, it was a spider of course.  not a big spider, but one of the jumping ones that we have here.  they run across my desk from time to time so it wasn't a huge surprise, but in my lunchbox!  this was a new one.  i carefully picked up my tray and walked it outside and deposited said spider back into it's home.  i was now finished with lunch it seemed.

second encounter:  simple and honest.  spider web removal from both the basket of my bike and the laundry lines on my porch.  no big deals here.  doing my best to keep spiders safe while i did it and make sure that they get somewhere without me trampling on them.  easy.

third encounter:  folding laundry on the couch and see something moving.  a spider about the size of a tennis ball (pretty average size for this species here) moves from beneath my underwear.  we can't have that now can we!  so i fetch a soup bowl from the kitchen and make haste to get it back to its home.  mission accomplished with some coaxing and directional talk after he dropped out of the bowl on our way to the door.

this spider stuff is taking some time today.  i think i am meant to be paying attention to what is surrounding me and being more careful about what i am doing and observing things a bit closer perhaps.  either way, spiders are here to stay and so am i...for awhile longer at least.  i'm glad that we get along so well.  thanks for having me on your island spiders, trees, hawks, crows and everything else that makes up this beautiful place.  well done.

1 comment:

  1. I love spiders! I have raised roughly 4 tarantulas to date and make sure to be nice to all their other relatives. =) This post made me smile.

    ReplyDelete